School Advisory Board Members
Some ideas for what School Advisory Board members can do:
- Encourage Latino parents to serve on the School Advisory Board.
- Assist the Development and Recruiting person with any work that he/she might need.
- Reinforce the importance of Catholic education to the future of the Church in the United States. Download (Catholic School Advantage Fact Sheet)
- Dedicate time at Advisory Board meetings regularly to talk about how the school’s progress in attracting and serving Latino students and families.
- Learn the statistics about Latinos in the United States and in the Church. For example, Latino/a students that attend Catholic schools are 42% more likely to graduate from High School and two-and-a-half times more likely to graduate from college.
- Attend the Mass in Spanish periodically at your parish.
- Learn to say a few words in Spanish.
- Ask that the school function as a community center in the evenings. Offer ENL classes, citizenship classes, basic keyboarding in Spanish. This will draw people into the school who have never been in the school. It is a great way to promote the school.