Notre Dame has launched the Catholic School Advantage Campaign, aiming to double the percentage of Latino children enrolled in Catholic schools – from 3% to 6% – in the next 10 years, raising the number of Latino children enrolled in Catholic schools from 290,000 to 1 Million by 2020. Learn how you can support the campaign.
Latino students suffer from a persistent academic achievement gap.
- Only 53% of Latinos graduate from HS in 4 years
- Only 16% of Latino 18-year-olds are considered “college-ready”
- Only 25% of Latinos aged 18 to 24 enroll in college
Catholic schools are uniquely able to serve Latino Students well.
- Latinos who attend Catholic schools are 42% more likely to graduate from high school
- Latinos who attend Catholic schools are two-and-a-half times more likely to graduate from college
Notre Dame’s Commitment:
- Form partnerships with major dioceses with large and growing Latino populations to work with schools and parishes: Likely beginning in Chicago, L.A., San Antonio, Houston, Phoenix, and Tucson, and developing additional materials and services for other arch/dioceses, schools and Catholic educators throughout the country.
- Launch the Catholic School Advantage Campaign and serve as the ongoing base of operations for research and program development to achieve the goal.
- Develop a series of additional initiatives aimed at teacher and leadership formation, and the recruitment and formation of Latino educators.
- Launch a national center to strengthen local scholarship support and expand publicly funded scholarship options
- Conduct ongoing research and program evaluation to address this goal and refine and improve these efforts
To learn more, visit http://CatholicSchoolAdvantage.nd.edu