Empower Your School's English Learners.
Become an ENL Hernandez Fellow.
Thank you for your interest in becoming an ENL Hernandez Fellow!
We are excited to announce that the 2020-2021 ENL Hernandez Fellows program will be entirely virtual! Apply now to join our summer cohort which will run from June 24th until July 23rd.
90% of ENL Hernandez Fellows use Title funds to underwrite some or all of their tuition. Read more about Title funds and how to use them!
Thank you for your interest in applying to become a Megan and Enrique Hernandez, Jr., Fellow. The program dates for the 16th cohort of ENL Hernandez Fellows are below:
- Applications for 2021-22 open: October 1, 2020
- Application deadline: March 31, 2021
- Acceptance notification: April 2021
- Commitment date: May 2021
Are you qualified to become an English as a New Language Hernandez Fellow?
- Applicants participate in two online classes during each semester - Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022.
- Applicants must participate in two online classes in both the fall and spring semesters after their two-week summer experience at the University of Notre Dame.
- Applicants must be teaching in or supporting a Catholic School.
- Applicants must have permission from their administration to participate in the ENL program, as their classroom will be affected by the practicum experience.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree. In order to add an ENL/ESL endorsement to a teaching license, a teacher must hold a current teaching license from any state.
- To learn more about ENL, see the ENL Program Overview.
What do you need to apply to ENL?
- Part 1: Background Information
- Part 2: Demographics
- Part 3: Academic History
- Part 4: Teaching Information
- Part 5: School Information
- Part 6: Short Answer Questions (500 words or less)
- Part 7: Commitment Acknowledgment
- Part 8: Principal Recommendation Information
How do I apply?
The ENL application consists of four parts:
- The online ENL application - See ENL Application Guide for details.
Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions - Please order your official transcripts in advance, as university registrars often need time to process requests. Have transcripts sent to:
University of Notre Dame
Jennifer Dees / ENL Program
107 Carole Sandner Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- The online Principal Recommendation Form.
- The online Tuition Assistance Form (for those requesting ENL scholarships) - See the Tuition Assistance Guide for details.