Empower Your School's English Language Learners. Become an ENL Hernandez Fellow.
90% of ENL Hernandez Fellows use Title funds to underwrite some or all of their tuition. Read more about Title funds and how to use them!
Thank you for your interest in applying to become a Megan and Enrique Hernandez, Jr., Fellow. The program dates for the next cohort of ENL Hernandez Fellows are below:
- Applications for 2020-21 will open on October 1, 2019
- Application deadline: March 31, 2020
- Acceptance notification: April 2020
- Commitment date: May 2020
Are you qualified to become an English as a New Language Hernandez Fellow?
- Applicants must be present at the University of Notre Dame for the two-week summer session in July 2020.
- Applicants must participate in two online classes in both the fall and spring semesters after their two-week summer experience at the University of Notre Dame.
- Applicants must be teaching in or supporting a Catholic School.
- Applicants must have permission from their administration to participate in the ENL program, as their classroom will be affected by the practicum experience.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree. In order to add an ENL/ESL endorsement to a teaching license, a teacher must hold a current teaching license from any state.
- To learn more about ENL, see the ENL Program Overview.
What do you need to apply to ENL?
- Part 1: Background Information
- Part 2: Demographics
- Part 3: Academic History
- Part 4: Teaching Information
- Part 5: School Information
- Part 6: Short Answer Questions (500 words or less)
- Part 7: Commitment Acknowledgment
- Part 8: Principal Recommendation Information
- Official College/University Transcripts
- Principal Recommendation Form (completed by a school administrator)
- Tuition Assistance Form (optional)
How do I apply?
The ENL application consists of four parts:
- The online ENL application - See ENL Application Guide for details.
Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions - Please order your official transcripts in advance, as university registrars often need time to process requests. Have transcripts sent to:
University of Notre Dame
Jennifer Dees / ENL Program
107 Carole Sandner Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- The online Principal Recommendation Form.
- The online Tuition Assistance Form (for those requesting ENL scholarships) - See the Tuition Assistance Guide for details.