Student Loan Deferment
- Upon enrollment in Notre Dame’s Graduate School as a full-time degree-seeking student, your student loans will be eligible for deferment until you graduate from ACE.
- To defer your loans, you will need to contact your lenders to see what paperwork they require. Usually, they will have a form that you will need to complete and take to the Notre Dame registrar to verify that you are a student.
- Loans will NOT be automatically deferred because you are in grad school.
- It is your responsibility to notify all of your lenders or your loans will go into default!
Student Loan Cancellation
- If you have a Perkins Loan, you may be eligible for partial cancellation each year you teach.
- If you are a math, science, or foreign language teacher, you may be eligible for cancellation. Otherwise, if your school is on a list of under-privileged schools (including most Title 1 schools), you may be eligible for Perkins loan cancellation.
- You have to check the website listed below for the list of schools by state. You will need to defer your Perkins Loan and then complete paperwork at the end of your first year teaching to receive the cancellation benefit. Please see this website for more information: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/teachercancel.jsp?tab=repaying