We Are All Readers and Writers
Representation is powerful.
Many students of color have lacked rich representation in literature and informational texts and while we still have a long way to go, there have been wonderful recent books that center the experiences and perspectives of people who have been marginalized.
We Are All Readers and Writers is for teachers, leaders, parents, family, and community members who see themselves as readers and writers and want to help develop the next generation of readers and writers so that our collective stories and what we all believe is possible can grow.
We hope you take this journey with us and explore the wide array of stories that open up new words and worlds for us all!
Learn about the Series
Watch the Episodes
- NPR Book Concierge - Filter this site for kids books and find great selections for different ages of students.
- We Need Diverse Books - Collection of diverse books and authors.
- Black Lives Matter Instructional Library - Resource provided by Newark Public Library.
- Michigan Essentials Video - Providing access to a wide range of text and teaching students how to choose.
- Michigan Essentials Video - Classroom libraries featuring culturally relevant texts.
- Virtual Read Aloud and Planning Guide - An example of a script for a virtual read aloud and a planning guide.
- Comprehension Focused Read Aloud - A planning guide for comprehension based read alouds with additional resources.
- 2021 Summer Reading List - Diverse selections categorized by age level.
Subscribe to Get New Episodes