Matthew Kloser is the founding director of the Center for STEM Education and a faculty member and Fellow of the Institute for Educational Initiatives at the University of Notre Dame.
Dr. Kloser’s research focuses on issues of teaching, learning, and assessment in science classrooms with a special focus on biology education. His research includes experimental studies that identify affordances and constraints of learning biology from different text types, mixed methods studies focused on assessment implications for student outcomes, and the relationship between core instructional practices and student outcomes.
Dr. Kloser received his M.Ed. through the Alliance for Catholic Education program at the University of Notre Dame and taught high school physics and math for five years prior to earning his M.S. in biology and Ph.D. in science education from Stanford University.
- Ph.D. in Science Education, Stanford University
- M.S. in Biology, Stanford University
- M.Ed., University of Notre Dame
Journal of Research in Science Teaching (JRST) Award
National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST) Outstanding Dissertation Research Award Finalist
NARST Oustanding Paper Award
Gerald J. Lieberman Fellowship
- Kloser, M., Borko, H., Wilsey, M., & Rafanelli, S. (2022). Leveraging portfolios in professional development for middle school science teachers’ assessment and data-use practice. Science Education, 106(4), 924-955.
- Kloser, M., Wilsey, M., Madkins, T., & Windschitil, M., (2019). Connecting the dots: Linking frameworks for facilitating discussion to novice teacher practice. Teaching and Teacher Education, 80, 115-127.
- Kloser, M. (2018). The nature of the teacher’s role in supporting student investigations in middle and high school science classrooms: Creating and participating in a community of practice. A report commissioned by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Washington D.C.
- Kloser, M. and Troy, S. (2018). Reading nature: Engaging biology students with evidence from the living world. Arlington, VA: NSTA Press.
- Kloser, M., Wilsey, M., Hopkins, D., Dallavis, J. W., Lavin, E., & Comuniello, M. (2017). Dual identities: Organizational negotiation in STEM-focused Catholic schools. Cultural Studies in Science Education, 13, 549-579.
- Kloser, M. (2014). Identifying a core set of science teaching practices: A Delphi expert panel approach. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 51(9), 1185 – 1217.