Dr. Michael Macaluso is an Assistant Teaching Professor of English Education in the Alliance for Catholic Education and the Institute for Educational Initiatives. He also serves on the leadership teams for the Center for Literacy Education and the Education, Schooling, & Society undergraduate program.
The recipient of several teaching awards, including the University's Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C., Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Macaluso teaches a number of education and literacy-related courses. His scholarship focuses on issues of teaching and learning in English classrooms, and he serves as chair of the Alexandria Award Committee, a new initiative aimed at fostering students' literacy and faith development.
Macaluso served in the 11th cohort of the ACE program, where he taught high school English in Baton Rouge, LA. He now proudly serves as the ACE Academic Supervisor for ACE's Baton Rouge and New Orleans sites.
- 2016 Ph.D, Curriculum, Instruction, and Teacher Education, Michigan State University
- 2006 M.Ed., University of Notre Dame
- 2004 B..A., University of Notre Dame
- Christ the Teacher Award, 2021
- Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C. Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2022
- Macaluso, M., & Macaluso, K. (forthcoming). Teaching Contemporary Social Issues Through Young Adult Literature. NCTE Press.
- Macaluso, M., & Macaluso, K. (Eds.) (2018). Teaching the canon in 21st century classrooms. Boston, MA: Brill Sense.
- Macaluso, M., McGraw, M. (2022). Beyond big bad wolves: Revisiting literary monsters and the origins of evil. English Journal, 111(6), 53-60.
- Macaluso, M. (2021). Reading in beTween: Extending the youth lens to consider middle-grade readers. The ALAN Review.
- Macaluso, K., & Macaluso, M. (2021). Dismantling "the man": New directions in teaching The Great Gatsby. English Journal, 110(6), 69-77.
- Macaluso, M. (2017). Teaching To Kill a Mockingbird today: Coming to terms with race, racism, and America’s novel. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 61(3), 279-287.
- Macaluso, M., & Macaluso, K. (2021). Governed by rules: Possibilities and consequences in Wuthering Heights and The Hate U Give. In P. Greathouse & V. Malo-Juvera (Eds.), Young Adult and Canonical Literature: Pairing and Teaching. London, UK: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Macaluso, M., Macaluso, K., & Evans, D. (2019). The Giver in our midst: Grounding dystopia in total institutions. In C. Hill & V. Malo-Juvera (Eds.), Critical approaches to teaching young adult literature. New York, NY: Routledge.