American Indian Catholic Schools Network
The American Indian Catholic School Networks strives to create a foundation of mutual leadership that encourages and supports each member school in its ministry, while strengthening our collective ability to fulfill our mission. Our shared efforts will help us promote awareness of our common goals, address common needs and challenges, leverage best practices and build trust among our members.
See Our Work in Action
Engaging in Audacious Hope
Please contact Will Newkirk (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are an undergraduate student interested in an internship with American Indian Catholic Schools Network.
Positions with the American Indian Catholic Schools Network
Thank you for your interest in working with the American Indian Catholic Schools Network! Please contact Will Newkirk (email@example.com) if you are interested in a specific opportunity.
Partial List of American Indian Boarding Manuscripts
- Adams, David Wallace. Education for Extinction: American Indians and the Boarding School Experience, 1875 - 1928. Lawrence, Kan: Univ. Press of Kansas, 1995.
- Archuleta, Margaret, Brenda J. Child, and K. Tsianina Lomawaima, eds. Away from Home: American Indian Boarding School Experiences, 1879-2000. 2nd paperbound print. with revisions. Phoenix, Ariz. : Santa Fe: Heard Museum ; Distributed by Museum of New Mexico Press, 2004.
- Bloom, John. To Show What an Indian Can Do: Sports at Native American Boarding Schools. Sport and Culture Series, v. 2. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2000.
- Child, Brenda J. Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940. Bison Books. Lincoln, Neb.: Univ. of Nebraska Press, 2000.
- Coleman, Michael C. American Indian Children at School, 1850-1930. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1993.
- Collier, Brian S. “A Long Way From Home: Catholic Indian Education in Santa Fe and St. Catherine Indian School,” Manuscript in Preparation.
- Collier, Brian S. “St. Catherine Indian School, Santa Fe, 1887-2006: Catholic Indian Education in New Mexico.” Thesis Dissertation, Arizona State University, 2006.
- Eagle, Adam Fortunate, and Laurence M. Hauptman. Pipestone: My Life in an Indian Boarding School. First Edition. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2010.
- Fear-Segal, Jacqueline. White Man’s Club: Schools, Race, and the Struggle of Indian Acculturation. Indigenous Education. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2007.
- Gram, John R. Education at the Edge of Empire: Negotiating Pueblo Identity in New Mexico’s Indian Boarding Schools, 2016.
- Krupat, Arnold. Changed Forever: American Indian Boarding School Literature. Volume I. SUNY Series, Native Traces. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2018.
- Lajimodiere, Denise K. Stringing Rosaries: The History, the Unforgivable, and the Healing of Northern Plains American Indian Boarding School Survivors. 1st edition. Contemporary Voice of Indigenous Peoples 2. Fargo, ND: North Dakota State University Press, 2019.
- Lomawaima, Kimberly Tsianina. They Called It Prairie Light: The Story of Chilocco Indian School. 1 Blison Books print, 1995.
- Prucha, Francis Paul. The Great Father: The United States Government and the American Indians. Abridged ed. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1986.
- Sakiestewa Gilbert, Matthew. Education beyond the Mesas: Hopi Students at Sherman Institute, 1902-1929. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2010. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/j.ctt1dfnrpp
- Stout, Mary. Native American Boarding Schools. Landmarks of the American Mosaic. Santa Barbara: Greenwood, 2012.
- Szasz, Margaret. Education and the American Indian: The Road to Self-Determination since 1928. 3rd ed., rev.Enl. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press, 1999.
- Trafzer, Clifford E., Jean A. Keller, and Lorene Sisquoc, eds. Boarding School Blues: Revisiting American Indian Educational Experiences. Indigenous Education. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2006.
- Trafzer, Clifford E., Matthew Sakiestewa Gilbert, and Lorene Sisquoc, eds. The Indian School on Magnolia Avenue: Voices and Images from Sherman Institute. Corvallis: Oregon State University Press, 2012.
- Trennert, Robert A. The Phoenix Indian School: Forced Assimilation in Arizona, 1891-1935. 1st ed. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1988.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of any books which should be added to this list. This list will be updated periodically.